McCalman Garde & Co (McCG&Co).
Information is scarce about this company, but an entry in "Victoria
and it's Metropolis, 1888" reads thus:
McCalman, Garde and Co., North Melbourne. This firm commenced operations
as agricultural implement manufacturers in 1878, on the site of their
present establishment, a block of land in Bedford and Blackwood streets.
The business then done was on a limited scale, having only two fires in
the shop. The style of the firm at the time was McCallman and Garde, the
partners being John McCallman and James B Garde, both first class mechanics
in their line of business, who have been taught their trade in the best
colonial establishments. This firm continued for about two years with
every prospect of a successful future, and at the end of that time the
business had so largely increased that it demanded the introduction of
additional capital, and to this end a third partner, Mr R Wade, was introduced,
who, however, soon afterwards sold out to Mr W White. This gentleman,
like his co-partners, is a good tradesman and plough maker, and is thoroughly
posted up in the technical part of the trade, in the active duties of
which he confines himself to a certain line of work, where this large
experience in plough construction renders his services of peculiar value
to the firm. He also is colonially taught, having served his apprenticeship
and worked in the best Victorian establishments. The style of the firm
is now as above. At the start it was decided to make the manufacture of
ploughs a speciality, and with that view the necessary appliances were
laid down, and the firm has shared in the general increase in the demand
for agricultural implements, incident on the taking up, of late years,
of vast areas of land for agricultural purposes, having gained a reputation
amongst farmers for the high quality of the goods they sent out; so much
so, in fact, that they found it necessary to erect more machinery to meet
the ever growing trade. At the melbourne exhibition of 1880-81 Messrs
McCallum, Garde and Co. gained a very honorable position, being awarded
a gold medal for their exhibit of ploughs, scarifiers, harrows, &c.
Their establishment now occupies an area of three-quarters of an acre
of ground, the buildings of a smiths shop 120 ft long by 100 ft wide,
containing twenty seven fires, besides special furnaces for certain portions
of the work. It is fitted with three steam hammers, and other labour-saving
appliances of the latest type, the blast being supplied by one of Root’s
patent rotary blowers. The latest addition to the works is a building
containing a plant for drop forging, with two immensely powerful hammers,
of the newest design. The power now used to drive the machinery is obtained
from a 20 hp steam engine, and although the plant in the manufactory is
complete and well designed for the work in hand. The offices and showroom
face Bedford St, the latter being stocked with highly-finished match ploughs,
of which a number are always kept on hand. The double-furrow plough is
the firm’s chief article of manufacture, of which some thousands
have been made, and of which a number have been sent to England and used
as patterns by at least two of the most renowned plough-makers of that
country. Messrs McCallman, Garde and Co’s trade is not confined
to Victoria but extends throughout the other colonies,New South Wales
and Tasmania especially being large purchasers of their implements. Their
ploughs have taken numerous first prizes in various ploughing matches
during the last nine or ten years, in close competition, and they may
fairly be reckoned among the most successful plough-makers of Australia.
By 1916, there was no mention of MCG&Co in the Australasin Manufacturer's
Directory - presumably they folded or were taken over before then.
The company name became famous as the builder of the first five harvesters
for Hugh V Mckay.
I have found McCG&Co listed in Melbourne S & M Directories from
1895 to 1897.
If any reader can provide additional information or images please make
contact via the link below.
References: "Victoria and it's Metropolis, 1888" excerpt
kindly provided by Eric Schulz
Various S & M Directories (Victorian)
Not many McCG&C spanners are known - the Hammer Spanner shown below
is the usual one seen and is not common
If there are others in existence, please make contact and share your picture / knowledge .