James Martin and Co.
James Martin worked briefly for John Ridley
In June 1848 he established a blacksmith and wheelwrights shop, making carts, agricultural implements, drays and in 1863 he made 250 reaping machines.
The company expanded into steel work for bridges and opened branches in Gladstone(SA) and Quorn(SA).
In 1874 Frederick May was admitted to the business and they branched out into making railway rolling stock.
In 1883 the first branch was opened in Sydney and the operations were moved around to various locations over the ensuing years
1885 Fred May left to set up on his own.
1890 first locomotive was built and by 1894, 100 loco's had been built.
James Martin was also in politics as an MLA from 1865-68 and as an MLC from 1885- 1899 when he died.
In 1907 the company went into liquidation and was purchased by the Gawler Implement Mfg Co
Advertising from 1916 by Gawler Implement Co Agricultural Enginers states that they were purchasers of agricultural business of the Late James Martin & Co.
Other names mentioned in Gawler Implement Co advertising are Todd & Reid of Gawler and Swan & Ivett coach builders, wheel wrights etc.
Note - see below eulogy regarding James Martin
Ref Extracted from Ken Arnold's Vol 4 of, "A Century of Farmyard Relics in Australia 1840 - 1940
Image - unknown provenance
Item Description & Reference Number
|We have not found any spanners attributable the the James Martin Co. If you can help, pls make contact.|
Image ©D Symons
|Believed to be a spanner from the Gawler Implements works|